KCON 2014 has come and gone yet again. Were you in attendance this year?? We were! Stay tuned for our thoughts and experiences from this year’s festival.
KCON 2014 REACHES NEW HEIGHTS
WITH OVER 42,000 IN ATTENDANCE
Los Angeles Was the Center of “All Things Hallyu” This Weekend
Mayor Eric Garcetti Toured the Convention and
Welcomed KCON’s Return to L.A.
Los Angeles, CA – August 11, 2014 – More than 42,000 fans (over double of last year’s numbers) converged in Los Angeles this weekend from across the country and all over the world to attend the third annual KCON (www.kconusa.com), the largest celebration of Korean pop culture. This year’s event boasted 30 percent more programming, a new, free and open to the public market place, as well as two nights of concerts featuring the hottest K-pop artists from Korea-B1A4, BTS, CNBLUE, G-Dragon, Girls Generation, IU, Jung Joon Young, SPICA, TEEN TOP and VIXX. A television special of the concert – M COUNTDOWN 2NIGHTS IN LA – will be shown in the U.S. by Mnet America (www.mnetamerica.com) on air and online on Thursday, August 14, 2014 at 7PM EST/4PM PST and Thursday, August 21, 2014 at 7PM EST/4PM PST.
Mayor Eric Garcetti made a special appearance on opening day of KCON 2014 welcoming its fans and sharing his excitement in connecting the bridge between Korea and Los Angeles. With almost 40 percent of the KCON audience making the pilgrimage from outside of the state of California and all over the world, the hybrid convention and concert produces significant benefits in the form of local tourism dollars.
KCON, co-produced by CJ E&M, Asia’s leading content company, and its global music channel Mnet, gave fans the ultimate Hallyu (a.k.a. the Korean Wave) experience, from artist panels and autograph signings to panels on K-pop fandoms, how to be a K-pop fashionista, speaking the language of K-Drama, and much more.
- Over 42,000 fans from across the U.S. and countries around the world attended the convention and concert this year, more than doubling last year’s attendance numbers.
- 10 of the hottest K-pop headliners from Korea including B1A4, BTS, CNBLUE, G-Dragon, Girls Generation, IU, Jung Joon Young, SPICA, TEEN TOP and VIXX.
- More than 130 special guests participated in the convention including Korean American artist Eric Nam, Korea’s biggest stars from Korea’s top rated shows-Yoo In Na (“You Who Came From the Stars”), Lee Seo Jin (“Grandpas Over Flowers”), and Lee Seung-GI (“Brilliant Legacy”).
- Over 100 vendors from the L.A. area participated in the KCON Marketplace.
- 114 companies including sponsors, labels, media companies, and special merchandise booths participated. Companies included Viki, Powerhouse, SMBA, and more. Major sponsors of the event were Toyota, Verizon, LG, Korea Tourism Organization, Asiana Airlines, CJ O Shopping, Bibigo, Tous Les Jours, CGV Cinemas, 4DX, tving, CJ One and CJ Korea Express.
“KCON has been an incredible success this year, especially with the support of the Los Angeles community. We are proud to see KCON become a staple event that Korean pop culture fans look forward to every year, says Sang Cho, President and CEO of Mnet America, the leading Asian entertainment network in the U.S.